Author Notes: OK first off, I am CUCKOO for cranberries. Absolutely love them. Also, I can get a TEENY WEENY bit obsessed with learning a particular technique / food / cuisine. SO - I took a cooking and wine pairing class a few weeks ago, and one thing we made was a fresh mango chutney, and I promptly became enomoured of chutney making. Cooking class + cranberries + food OCD = this recipe! p.s I made this last night and promptly ate 2/3 of it. - aargersi
Serves 4 normal people or, well, me
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger - peeled and minced
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 clementine tangerines
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced candied ginger
- saute the onion in the olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the fresh ginger and saute another minute. Add the cranberries and vinegar. Zest 2 of the the tangerines into the pan then squeeze the juice in as well. As is simmers, add the remaining ingredients. Cook until the cranberries are soft and start to break down. ** NOTE ** I like to cook it until is "saucy" but some of the cranberries are still whole - when you bite them you get a wonderful tart POP in the midst of the sweet chutney.
- Spoon into a bowl and zest the additional tangerine over the chutney for presentation.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cranberry Sauce