If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This punch combines fall and winter fruit flavors with Prosecco and just a little elderflower liqueur. It is sweet-tart with a bit of complexity provided by the spices and elderflower. It would be perfect for a holiday gathering or to ring in the new year. Cheers! - hardlikearmour
Food52 Review: This tasty effervescent punch is a perfect aperitif for the holiday season. With sparkling pear juice and prosecco, there's double the bubbles and this beautifully crimson punch hits all the right notes. Subtle hints of ginger and cardamom mellow out the tart pomegranate juice, and when mixed with the elderflower liqueur, you get a nice balance of sweet and tart flavors. Try hardlikearmour's suggestion of freezing sparkling pear juice with pomegranate arils for fancy ice cubes to float in the punch. - jvcooks
Makes 12 5-oz servings
- 2 cups 100% pomegranate juice
- 2 to 3 inch knob of ginger, thinly sliced
- 20 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 bottle extra-dry Prosecco (750 ml)
- 1 bottle sparkling pear juice (750 ml)
- ½ to ¾ cup St. Germain elderflower liqueur
- Combine the pomegranate juice, ginger, and cardamom in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a robust simmer. Cook until reduced to approximately 1 cup, about 30 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to cool to room temperature. Pass reduced juice through a fine mesh strainer into a storage vessel. Chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours before making punch. Can be made up to 3 days ahead.
- Just before serving combine reduced pomegranate juice, Prosecco, pear juice, and ½ cup elderflower liqueur in a large pitcher or punch bowl. Taste and add more elderflower liqueur if desired.
- For a fancy party presentation, place a sugar cube in the bottom of a champagne flute, and add the punch. The sugar cube will create a continuous stream of tiny bubbles. It will disintegrate, but doesn't dissolve much into the punch so won't change the flavor dramatically. (See photo 1)
- For fancy ice cubes freeze sparkling pear juice with pomegranate arils and/or thin slices of Seckel pear. (See photo 2)
- For a non-alcoholic variation replace the Prosecco with seltzer. Replace the St. Germain with ¼ cup elderflower syrup.
Topics: Holiday Entertaining
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Punch
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Plan a genius dinner party: part one.
All you need for Memorial Day.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
A trusty trivet.