If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of a must-order whenever I am in China. Smokey mushrooms fried in oil, stir-fried in lots of garlics, chilies, sichuan peppers, and chinese panceta. The mushroom turns into this addictive crunchiness, and after a few chews, the flavour of the mushrooms comes out. And of course, all that just buried in chilies, garlics, and numbing spicy sichuan pepper.
Instead of frying the mushrooms in the oil, I stir-fry it patiently until the liquid has evaporated, and turn the heat high to intensify the crunchiness and smokiness of soy sauce and mushroom. Also, when it comes to Asian food, I don't measure--so adjust in sugar and salty as you like. —FrancesRenHuang
Serves 2-3 as a side dish
- 1.5 cups of tea tree mushrooms or chilean mushrooms re-hydrated
- 1/4 cup of sliced panceta (can omit for vegetarians)
- 1 handful of dried red chilies
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, pressed with the cleaver to release flavours
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- dashes white sesame seeds, roasted
- handfuls cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Squeeze the liquid from mushrooms; set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in low heat; add the sichuan pepper and stir-fried it until it release flavours, about 3-5 minutes. If you like the crunchy numbness of the pepper, continue on- if not, gently take it out leaving just the oil.
- Stir-fry in the panceta for a few minutes, so the flavours infused into the sichuan oil; add into the red chilies, garlic and continue to stir-fry about 2 min, or until nice and golden (or the whole room smells like garlic and chills).
- Add the mushrooms and brown sugar, and gently stir-fried until all the liquid evaporate, and the mushroom is dried and a bit crisp; turn the heat up, drizzle in the soy sauce and mix well. Taste, and adjust. Add a bit more soy sauce for salty, or sprinkle in a bit more sugar for sweetness.
- To serve, sprinkle with sesame seeds and cilantro for garnish.
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.