If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This drink was a staple at the Washington, DC church I attended as a kid. Don Robinson-- now Rev. Robinson--was an active member of the community and was therefore responsible for coordinating many parties and events. No matter who made the food, he always made the drink. All us kids would clamor around to watch him make it. 1 gallon apple cider, 1/2 gallon orange juice, and 2 two liter bottles of ginger ale would be impressively poured into a big punch bowl. Then the exciting part: 1 lg can of frozen pineapple juice, to keep it chilled. And then the party started! I always thought the punch tasted best toward the end, when the pineapple juice was mostly melted and made up a higher percentage of the punch.
My version reflects this preference, by reducing the other ingredients. I also sub the ginger ale for a lime leaf infused ginger syrup and soda water. I like how it is kind-of Northeast harvest party meets Southeast Asian luau. —Anitalectric
Makes enough for 1 big punch bowl
Robinson's Punch (with an Anita Twist)
- 1/2 gallon apple cider
- 2 quarts pineapple juice
- 1 liter soda water
- reserved young ginger syrup, to taste
- Fill 1-2 cube trays with pineapple juice and freeze.
- Pour the rest of it into a punch bowl and combine with the other ingredients. Serve chilled.
Young Ginger Syrup
- 1 cup young ginger, diced (no need to peel)
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1/2 cup demerara sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Over low heat, simmer all ingredients until thick and syrupy. Transfer to a blender and puree.
- Strain out and discard solids. Allow syrup to cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Punch
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.