If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The other day, I was heating a cup of Smoking Bishop (my favorite holiday punch, the recipe for which I’ve just posted) for Mr. T, while pondering what to do with the bag of organic cranberries I’d purchased that day. The deep, warming aroma of the spiced wine and port reminded me of Alice Waters’ tasty dessert made of figs poached in lightly spiced red wine, that are served with coffee ice cream. Problem solved: I immediately combined the basic formula for the Smoking Bishop, plumped up a few figs in it and added my cranberries and a tart apple, to create this compote. This needs at least a few days to mellow before it’s at its best. Once it’s ready, however, you’ll be glad you waited. Enjoy!! ;o) - AntoniaJames
Serves 4 - 6
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon crushed anise seeds (I prefer ones from Spain.)
- 1/3 cup apple brandy
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup red wine (I use a vin ordinaire from southern France.)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 dried black mission figs, chopped into 6 – 8 pieces each
- 2 tablespoons regular molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 8 ounces organic cranberries
- 1 apple that's been peeled, cored and grated
- 2/3 cup apple cider, preferably unpasteurized
- ½ cup ruby port
- Combine in a heavy saucepan over medium heat all of the ingredients except the cranberries, apple, cider and port.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes over very low heat, stirring frequently.
- Add the cranberries and apple and simmer for another ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the port and cider and simmer for another two minutes.
- Cool and then put in a jar and refrigerate, covered, for at least a few days before serving. (Five or six, or more, is even better.)
- Enjoy! ;o)
Prep Makes Perfect
Put your best pan forth.
Prep your pans for perfection.
Make better coffee.
Breakfast: a worldly affair.
An Instameet by the Bay (Area).
Behind the scenes.