Author Notes: My family, back in Roanoke Virginia, serve this every year at Christmas brunch. It is, without a doubt, a crowd pleaser... - F for Food
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large (5qt) pot, bring 3 cups of salted water to a boil. Slowly stir in 1 cup of grits. Continue stirring and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
- Stir in 2 cups of grated, sharp, cheddar cheese. Add a dash of Tabasco sauce and a couple of dahes of garlic salt. Stir in 2 large eggs, beaten. Add 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Stir in 1lb of cooked sausage (I used Grandma Broadbent's sausage). Salt to taste.
- Pour it into a greased baking dish (I used a cast iron skillet), and cook it for 1 hour. Sprinkle a little bit of grated cheese on top, and put it back in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until it browns a bit.
- Let it cool for a bout 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II