Author Notes: This spelt kefir pancakes are quite light and wholesome. Kefir is a super-food that makes these pancakes dense and nourishing. Use buttermilk or yogurt if you don't have kefir, and feel free to play with whaterver flour you have on hand. - Valeria Necchio
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2 cups kefir
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- butter for the pan
- 1 cup cranberry sauce, for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, kefir and vanilla extract.
- Pour the wet ingredient on the dry ones, then stir with a spatula until combined.
- Heat a non stick skillet over medium heat. Melt some butter. (about 2 tsp). When hot and bubbling, pour about 1/4 of a cup of pancake batter. When the surface is bubbling, flip pancake with a spatula. Cook until light brown and cooked through.
- Repeat until batter is finished (it makes about 12 pancakes).
- Serve pancakes immediately, topped with cranberry sauce and maple syrup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II