Author Notes: I recently bought the Flour Bakery + Cafe's cookbook and I can't wait to try everything in it. The first morning I had the book, I wanted to make the Good Morning Muffins, but I didn't have half the ingredients so I came up with this recipe based very very loosely on it...so I'll say it was inspired by the Good Morning Muffins, but I still need to try Joanne Chang's recipe. This was a great use of the some of the 30 pounds of apples I had in the fridge after apple-picking. - Meatballs&Milkshakes
- 1.5 apples, peeled and cored, in a small dice
- 1 cup oats, not quick cooking
- 1 cup flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate chunks
- Butter 2 muffin pans or line with muffin/cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the eggs and sugar together in a mixer for a couple minutes, until light and airy. Add the oil slowly and the vanilla extract while whipping with the mixer.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a separate bowl (except the apple). Add to the wet ingredients and fold though until combined. Add in the apple and combine.
- Pour into the buttered pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let them cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II