If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Long gone are the Sundays I would awaken to the aroma of my father's magnificent and simple pancakes on the griddle. This is a decadent revamp of my dad's fabulously savoury pancakes. He made great crisp on the outside, fluffy on the inside, unsweetened pancakes for me every sunday. This version sweetens up with pumpkin, and gets a silkiness from smooth whipped ricotta. - DUZE @BakingBackwards
Serves 4 or one small restless child.
Bourbon Maple Syrup
- 1-2 shots Bourbon or scotch whiskey, (Drambuie would work wonders here)
- 1 1/2 cups good quality maple syrup
- Mix the two together in a jar or bowl. Refrigerate overnight if possible.
Pumpkin Ricotta Pancakes
- 1 small can organic pumkin puree
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups light spelt or all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup canola or other lightly flavored oil, pumpkin seed wouold be good here
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese (extra smooth)
- 1/4 cup milk or buttermilk
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon organic ground cinammon
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- My dad made his recipe in a blender. Im going to change that a bit. Start by sifting the flour, baking powder, spices and salt together in a bowl. Put aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, using a handblender or mixer, combine the pumpkin and one egg yolk until well blended. Set aside
- In another bowl, beat the two egg whites with a mixer until stiff peaks form. You can add a touch of cream of tartar to this step before beating the egg whites. In another bowl, beat the ricotta together with the vanilla, set aside.
- Add the flour mixture slowly to the pumpkin mixture, mixing in with a mixer as you go until well mixed. Blend in the milk or buttermilk. Blend in the oil. Slowly and carefully fold in the ticotta mixture. Slowly fold in the egg white mixture into the pumpkin mixture. Do not overmix as this will enhance the fluffiness of the pancakes.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium high heat. Brush with canola oil. Drop water drops to test heat. When hot and water drops vaporize, grab batter bowl. Pour out pancake batter in size of your preference, I always liked silver dollar pancakes (about the size of a child's stretched hand). You can flip the pancakes when tiny bubbles/craters appear on the top of the circles. After a minute or two check to see that the undersides are browning slightly. Pile on a plate and serve with the refrigerated syrup. Dust pancakes with icing sugar if desired. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.