If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of those "Breakfast for Dinner" treats...or holiday morning breakfasts. You can make the waffles as elaborate as you like. We prefer the true Belgium style waffles with yeast...But any thick buttermilk waffles will do as well. If you serve this as dinner/dessert, add a scoop of banana, coconut or vanilla gelato. (It's a dairy serving!!)
My belgium waffle recipe is almost exactly the same as tuscanfoodies http://www.food52.com/recipes/13853_gaufres_de_lieges_belgian_waffles_from_lieges so i will just post the link to their recipe. you can also find a recipe on the back of the box of the Lar's sugar pearls--you just want a nice yeasty product, but any good waffle recipe will do. —lorigoldsby
- 6 ripe (but semi-firm) bananas
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup half n half
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 t. vanilla)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon and nutmeg (fresh grated preferred)
- 1/4 cup banana liqueur (optional)
- 1/4 cup amaretto or dark rum (optional)
- 1/2-3/4 cups toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- If making the true Belgium waffles,Take your waffle mixture out of the fridge and divide into 6 pieces. Heat up your waffle iron. If you are making a traditional waffle, you can add sugar pearls to get a little of that carmelized sugar taste. (Lar's pearl sugar is a great brand)
- Melt butter in skillet, add brown sugar. When sugar is bubbly, add half and half. Add vanilla, cinnamon, cardamon and nutmeg. Stir in bananas, carefully tossing to coat with carmelized sugar. Off heat add the banana liqueur, stir well, add the amaretto or rum and maple syrup. If feeling brave (and fire extinguisher is handy...) you may carefully ignite to flambe. If you worry about the alcohol, you can omit.
- Add toasted pecans, toss to coat. Pour on top of finished waffles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II
More Great Recipes: Breakfast & Brunch