Author Notes: A recipe that adapts quite well to a bag of frozen potatoes if you are short on time or just a little lazy, but you certainly can make your favorite shredded potato with onions and peppers and since my recipe is not sausage specific add your favorite flavorful sausage, and lastly a good white or orange cheddar with a mild or sharp taste is the cheesy part. - ibbeachnana
- 20 ounces Frozen shredded potatoes with onions and peppers or the equivalent of homemade flash frozen on a sheet pan
- 1/2 red sweet pepper
- 2-3 fat Italian sausage links, casings removed, crumbled, and lightly and briefly sauteed browned as it will finish cooking in the baking dish
- 1-1/4 cup 2% or whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- * as sprinkle of homemade sausage seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 5-6 larges eggs thoroughly whisked
- 1-1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic through garlic press
- Saute the red pepper for a couple of minutes just to soften a bit. Remove the sausage from casings, crumble and brown keeping the sausage slightly underdone adding garlic for the last minute. Remove from heat. Whisk the eggs with the salt, pepper, mustard and any other seasonings that you would like to add. My Italian sausage is pretty flavorful so I don't need but a pinch of my seasoning for a little boost in flavor. Grate the cheese and add into the eggs, toss in the sausage, break up the frozen potatoes into a buttered baking dish and pour the egg and sausage mixture over, folding the whole thing together until thoroughly blended. Bake in a 350° preheated oven for about 50 minutes; allow sitting for a several minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serve with a tropical fruit salad and hot sauces for those who like an extra kick. I love the crispy corner piece...dibs.