Author Notes: Here is another delicious and versatile breakfast recipe, which has endless possibilities for deferent stuffing’s; meat, sausages, vegetables, mushrooms and a lot of other edible stuff, will work wonderfully. It is also nice to serve the pitas cut- up in smaller portions and use them as appetizers at room temperature.
- • 4 6 or 7-inches in diameter not too thick best quality pitas, cut in half
- • 1 cup fresh whole milk ricotta, homemade or prepared
- • 3/4 cup feta, Greek or French
- • 3/4 cup soft goat cheese
- • 2 tablespoons sour cream or crème fraîche
- • Green tops of 4-5 scallions or chives, chopped
- • 1 tablespoon fresh dill, parsley or cilantro leaves, chopped
- • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeds and membranes removed, diced
- • Coarse salt, if needed
- • Pinch of freshly ground black or white pepper
- • 2 large eggs, beaten with a splash or two of whey, milk or cream
- • Canola oil and unsalted butter for frying
- In a bowl of a food processor combine the cheeses and sour cream or crème fraîche; pulls a few times until uniform and smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and incorporate scallions, dill or any herb you like and diced jalapeno. Taste and add salt, if needed.
- Fill each half of pitas with about 2-2 1/2 full tablespoons of the cheese filling. Lightly press to evenly distribute and trying not to tear. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve; heat a frying pan on medium, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon butter spoon. In a shallow dish beat eggs and whey or what ever liquid you are using with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Dip each side of the filled pitas, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Quickly drain on paper towels, then orange on a serving platter or individually.
- Serve while steel hot with sour cream or crème fraîche or your favorite condiments or salads. Although the cheese filling is savory and even slightly spicy, I like mine with some jam or honey and roasted, lightly salted peanuts.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast II