Author Notes: OK Guys, this is my very first submission for a recipe and I hope there will be many more to follow. This soup's inspiration came to me from elanaspantry while perusing this fabulous site which I must admit, I only discovered a few months ago. So I thought I would give it my spin on a broccoli soup. The broth I used was a low sodium all natural 32oz boxed chicken broth. Of course, you can always make your own, but sometimes we have time constraints. Make sure all your veggies are fresh and this should taste amazing. - knitnbead
Makes two quarts (maybe a little more)
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Large Vadilia Onion chopped bite size
- 1 Large Leek White part only chopped bite size
- 1 Medium size russet potato peeled and chopped bite size
- 2 boxes Low Sodium Fat Free Chicken Broth
- Half cups Skim or low fat milk
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- small bunch broccoli tops
- Heat oil in large stock pot. Add chopped onion, and leek, cook for 5 minutes, add potato. Sweat veggies for about 5 minutes or until a little soft. Add chopped broccoli (cleaned stems and all) to pot. Cook another 5 minutes till broccoli starts to get a little soft.
- Add chicken broth salt and pepper to taste. Bring to slow boil and lower heat. Simmer till veggies are soft. About 20 minutes. Add milk. Use an immersion blender right in the pot but leave some broccoli pieces. The potato will make it "creamy". You can also use your regular blender in batches, but be careful, this is very hot. Serve with a crusty country bread. Any leftovers can be frozen, but I doubt there will be any.