If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Last year for our anniversary, my husband and I treated ourselves to a dinner at Kyma - Washgington DC's consistently rated number one restaurant. While we were there, we loved the whimsical riff on a DC locals favorite - the half smoke. They created a mini half smoke and served it on a brioche roll. What's not to like? The half smoke (mainly attributed to a great DC civil rights landmark - Ben's Chili Bowl) is a half-pork and half-beef spicy hot dog like sausage that is steamed over a hot griddle. If you can't get a half smoke you can order one online or you could use a good local brand spicy hot dog or lightly smoked sausage. - meganvt01
Makes 3 dozen
- 4 links of half smokes, sliced 1/3 inch thick
- 2 loaves of brioche
- 3 high quality dill pickles (the refrigerated kind that have a great snap)
- 3-4 tablespoons spicy/strong dijon mustard
- Slice your brioche loaf into normal size sandwich slices. Use a cookie cutter or a glass that is about 2 inches in diameter and cut rounds from the brioche. Lightly toast the rounds in a toaster - just letting them brown very slightly.
- In a skillet over medium heat, place a batch of half smoke slices in and let them sit for 5 minutes. They should get a really beautiful caramelization on them and render out a good amount of fat. Flip the slice and cook for another 3 minutes, checking for caramelization. Keep the first batch warm in a 200 degree oven on a baking sheet, covered in foil while you cook the rest.
- Brunoise your pickles (very tiny, tiny dice) or as nice little squares as you can get.
- Take a brioche round and top with a warm half smoke. Place 1/2 teaspoon of mustard (or more or less depending on your taste and how strong your mustard is) and decorate the top with a sprinkling of pickles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
Raise a Glass to This Roast
A mash-up masterpiece.
Rock the roast.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Be shelf smart.
Recipe of the Day
This is poppin'.