If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is one of my favorite lettuce salads to serve with grilled steak. It's very reminiscent of the house salad served by the Machus Restaurant Group here in Metro Detroit from the mid sixties to the mid nineties. The Machus Group had a number of restaurants in the area - The Sly Fox, Foxy's, The Machus Bakery and the infamous Red Fox , where Teamster Boss Jimmy Hoffa was last seen leaving before he disappeared. The food was classic American, but the house salad was probably their claim to fame. My version has a few extra ingredients and I booted the iceberg lettuce, but what's so bad about blue cheese, red onion and bacon? —inpatskitchen
Serves 4 as a side salad
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Shake all ingredients together in a salad cruet or jar and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the salad
- 6 cups torn Romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 strips bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup of your favorite blue cheese
- 15 to 20 California ripe olives, halved
- 1/2 cup cooked chick peas
- A few cherry tomatoes, halved if large
- Croutons for garnish(optional)
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl and dress with as much of the salad dressing as you like.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mustard
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
The craziest chip around.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.