Author Notes: This recipe is one of our favorite snacking foods. It was created when I was low on on supplies and made with my pantry basics - potatoes and essential spices. I had never tried using just the hollowed skins but one bite and we were in love. The spice rub used is versatile and can be tried on other items such as chicken or fish.
It pairs well with an assortment of dips, I usually mix Greek Yogurt with store bough cilantro chutney or some good ketchup to serve. They are however great just by themselves since the spice coating gives them a generous dose of flavor to complement their crisp and succulent taste. - Rinku Bhattacharya
For the crispy skins
- 6 large russet potatoes
- Water for boiling
- 1 teaspoon salt plus extra for boiling
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups oil for frying (grape seed or canolla)
For the spice rub
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried pommegranate seeds
- Extra Paprika for dusting
- Cut the potatoes in half.
- Place in a large cooking pot and add some salt and boil the potatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked until they are soft but not mushy. It is important to be able to scoop the flesh out without breaking the potatoes.
- Cool the potatoes until they are comfortable to handle and then scoop out the center, leaving about a layer of 1 inch thickness around the potatoes.
- Cut the skins into 1 inch pieces and toss with turmeric and salt,
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a good frying pan for about 2 minutes. Gently lower the potatoes into the oil. Let the potato skins cook undisturbed for 6 to 7 minutes until the potatoes gently turn golden and turn crisp.
- Turn the potatoes and continue cooking on the other side until both sides are evenly browned.
- Drain the potato skins on paper towels
- While the potatoes are cooking, gently heat the cumin and coriander seeds for 1 minute until they smell toasty.
- Place the cumin and coriander in a spice mill, with the fenugreek leaves, pomegranate seeds and the black peppercorns and grind to the smooth powder.
- Rub the potato skins with this prepared spice mixture and dust with extra paprika while serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack