Author Notes: Khaman as it is known as, is a vibrant dish of steamed dumplings and the mustard - sesame dressing with fresh coconut and cilantro adds up to an amazing mix of colors and flavors . - PistachioDoughnut
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 Green chillies cut into slits
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Seeds
- A pinches Asafoetida
- 4 tablespoons Water
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Coconut grated
- handfuls Cilantro
Steamed Dumplings or Khaman
- 1 cup Chana Dal
- 1 tablespoon Urad Dal
- 1/4 cup Yogurt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Chickpea Flour or Besan
- 2 teaspoons Ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons Green Chilis paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda or Eno
- 11/2 teaspoons Sugar
- Wash and soak both the dals overnight or at least 7 to 8 hours.
- Drain out the water from the dals and add the yogurt and dals to a mixer grinder , add the 1/4 cup of water also.
- Now, take out the mixture and add in the chickpea flour, turmeric, salt , one teaspoon of sugar and keep it to ferment for some hours or preferably overnight. Keep it in a warm place like oven or microwave to ferment.
- Just before making the dumplings , add in the ginger-chili paste, lemon juice, oil and soda bicarbonate. Mix well. Do not over mix it. we want a smooth batter.
- Now, keep a pressure cooker or a steamer ready filled in with water on stove to start the steaming process. We will need to keep a small pot on which we are going to place our dish with the batter. We do not want the steaming water to get in the batter. Grease a dish with good high edges with some oil.
- Pour in the mixture into the greased dish half up, as the dumplings would rise. we need to allow it to rise so that we are using a high edged dish. Cover it with pressure cooker top or the steaming vessel cover. And, cook it for about 20 minutes on high flame.
- Side by side , for the seasoning. Take a pan, add the oil let it heat up , add up the mustard seeds, asafoetida and let them crackle. Once the seeds crackle , add the green chilies slits and sesame seeds, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 4 tablespoons of water .
- Once the dumplings are done after 20 minutes, keep them for about 10 minutes to cool off properly before cutting them into pieces. Once cooled off , cut the dumplings into 1 inch squares. Arrange them in a dish side by side.
- Sprinkle the seasoning on top of each dumpling to coat them with the seasoning. Sprinkle the grated coconut and the chopped cilantro. Serve it with green mint-cilantro chutney. For parties, arrange each dumpling on chutney with toothpicks.
- For variation , I add spinach to the batter and it gives it a nice green color and taste of spinach. You can also, add pea puree to the batter .
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack