If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've beeen making these for so long I barely recall where I found the recipe - I think it was an old Bon Appetit (c. 1978ish?) The original recipe couldn't have been simpler - 3-ingredient dough and a tube of anchovy paste. I decided I could improve on the anchovy paste a little. Best part is they freeze really well and can just be popped into a hot oven for 8-10 minutes and voila! Everyone who has ever tasted these wants more, even those who profess to hate anchovies! They are the perfect blend of salty, creamy, puffy and are indeed a single bite. - deanna1001
Makes 4-5 dozen
- 3 ounces cream cheese (1 small package) softened
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick) softened
- 1 cup flour (all purpose)
- 2 tins anchovies - either flat or rolled with capers (drained)
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained (only if using flat anchovies)
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Make dough: put all ingredients in food processor and process until dough forms a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap or in a plastic bag and flatten into a disk. Put in refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour. (Dough will hold for several days.)
- Make filling: using either a small processor or a mortar and pestle, grind all ingredients into a paste. Put into a small sandwich bag and refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Roll dough to 1/8" thick (do small amounts at a time and flour the board and rolling pin. A marble slab can be helpful or you can roll it between layers of wax paper - work quickly as the dough is sticky when warm.) Cut 2" circles. Reroll scraps and refrigerate as needed to make dough workable.
- Cut a small bit off one corner of the filling bag and pipe a scant 1/4 tsp. of flling in the center of each dough circle. Fold them in half and crimp with a fork to seal. Bake on cookie sheet for 8-10 minutes until golden and puffed.
- Wait a couple of minutes before sampling or you'll burn your mouth! To freeze: after forming the puffs put on cookie sheet and place in freezer for an hour. When frozen, put them into a ziplock. Cook as indicated for 10-11 minutes (no need to defrost.)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Anchovies
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
11 Ways to Become a Little More French
Live la vie en rose.
Live la vie en rose.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
A feast for the ears.
Take these foods to go.