If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Baigan bhartha( Roasted Eggplant) with some spices is a very popular dish of India. In this recipe also I have tried to present this main dish in the form of snacks or appetizers. To save this roasted eggplant , I have used cornmeal base known as Makki di Roti. Flatbreads made from corn four. I must tell you the traditional way of roasting the eggplant is a messy task.
For variations , I had prepared this dish same way but the topping of eggplant was substituted by dry palak paneer - an Indian curry made from spinach and cottage cheese, garnished it with ginger and red bell pepper. Instead of spinach we can also use kale, and instead of cottage cheese ricotta cheese can also be used. - PistachioDoughnut
Makes 10 to 15 bites
Baigan Bhartha - Roasted Eggplant
- 1 large Eggplant
- 1 Chopped medium sized onion
- 3 Chopped Tomatoes
- 11/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon Ginger
- 1/2 cup Boiled Peas
- 11/2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- pinches Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Cumin- Corrainder powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- Cliantro to garnish
- Roast the eggplant on open fire on stove. This could be a messy task. If you want to avoid this process, just bake the whole eggplant brushed with some oil in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 400 F. Remove from stove or oven, let it cool down a little bit remove the skin. Then mash the flesh of the eggplant. it's OK if you cannot mash it fully. It is perfectly alright if there any or some pieces.
- In a pan, take some oil add cumin seeds let them crackle add asafoetida and then add onions, and saute well. After the onions turn translucent add, the ginger garlic paste and saute for another few minutes and add the tomatoes. Cook it well. Once the tomatoes are breaking down add boiled peas, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, corriander - cumin powder and garam masala. Simmer it for some time. Once you see the spices are well blended and extra water is evaporated.We want this to be dry veggie. Remove from heat and garnish it with chopped cilantro leaves.
Makki Di Roti - Cornflour Breads or Rotis
- 1/1/2 cups Corn Flour
- 1/2 cup Wheat Flour (Optional)
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Salt to taste
- Warm water for binding the dough
- Take corn flour, add salt, oil and enough warm water and knead a dough out of it. Divide the dough in equal sizes, on a sheet of plastic with a drop of oil roll them out like rotis, medium sized rounds or a square shape.
- Take oil in a griddle and cook the roti equally on both sides. Remove it from stove, spread a little bit of ghee or butter on it.
- Cut these rotis into bite-sized shapes and put the roasted eggplant mixture on top of it. Garnish it with cilantro leaves and a slit of green chilli.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack