If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I would like to share a delicious recipe for a Holiday snack or a light desert, which I learned while watching the show “Mad Hungry” a few days ago and made it this morning. I did not have Bosc pears and roasted 7 small Anjou pears. They came out perfect and since I was left with all the salt and inspired by the result, I decided to roast 6 small Honey Crisp apples and even 1 Kiwi, which were starring at me from the fruit vase. As you can see in the photos, it is a fantastic and versatile recipe not only for pears. Thanks’ to Lucinda. —Kukla
- • 6 Bosc or Anjou pears, unpeeled
- • 1 1/2 pounds coarse salt
- • 1 cup sugar + 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice or water, (I made with orange juice)
- • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- • 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover the bottom of an 8-inch ceramic or glass dish that is 4 inches deep, with a thin even layer of salt. Arrange the pears upright in the dish and cover with salt, allowing stems to stick out. Bake until tender, 60 to 75 minutes depending on the size of fruit.
- Meanwhile, heat sugar and 2 tablespoons orange juice in a small saucepan over medium- low heat until sugar has dissolved. Cook, without stirring, until syrup comes to a simmer; cover and cook about 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium and let boil, swirling pan occasionally, until medium amber. Remove from heat, and carefully stir in butter and cream (the caramel will steam and spatter).
- Remove pears from the salt, allowing a small amount to cling to each pear. Place each pear on a serving plate. Pour caramel sauce over top, and serve.
- You can also cool the pears to room temperature, cut them in half, core with a melon baller and fill with any cheese of your choice. I like Gorgonzola dolce or other mild blue cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.