Author Notes: My kids have always loved broccoli soup a number of ways...with cream, with cheese, with ham...it doesn't matter. I'm always seeking variations and so made this one. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 2 quarts
- 5 cups steamed fresh broccoli florets ( save the stalks)
- 3 medium leeks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup minced fresh dill
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups broccoli-leek broth (instructions follow)
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cut the dark green parts of the leeks into large pieces, saving the white part. Cut the broccoli stalks into large pieces.
- In a soup pot place the broccoli stalks and the dark green parts of the leeks and cover with water. Bring up to a boil and simmer until the liquid is reduced to 3 cups. Strain and set aside.
- Cut the white part of the leeks into quarters lengthwise and then cut crosswise into a small dice.
- In a 4 quart dutch oven or soup pot, saute the diced leek and garlic in the olive oil until the leeks soften.
- Stir in the dill, salt and pepper, followed by the broccoli-leek stock and the chicken broth. Bring up to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and broccoli and turn off the heat. Let cool a bit and then puree the soup in batches in a blender. Return to the pot and reheat to boiling. Stir in the sour cream and serve.