If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My kids have always loved broccoli soup a number of ways...with cream, with cheese, with ham...it doesn't matter. I'm always seeking variations and so made this one. - inpatskitchen
Makes about 2 quarts
- 5 cups steamed fresh broccoli florets ( save the stalks)
- 3 medium leeks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup minced fresh dill
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups broccoli-leek broth (instructions follow)
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cut the dark green parts of the leeks into large pieces, saving the white part. Cut the broccoli stalks into large pieces.
- In a soup pot place the broccoli stalks and the dark green parts of the leeks and cover with water. Bring up to a boil and simmer until the liquid is reduced to 3 cups. Strain and set aside.
- Cut the white part of the leeks into quarters lengthwise and then cut crosswise into a small dice.
- In a 4 quart dutch oven or soup pot, saute the diced leek and garlic in the olive oil until the leeks soften.
- Stir in the dill, salt and pepper, followed by the broccoli-leek stock and the chicken broth. Bring up to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and broccoli and turn off the heat. Let cool a bit and then puree the soup in batches in a blender. Return to the pot and reheat to boiling. Stir in the sour cream and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Leeks
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.