If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chole is very popular dish from the Northern part of India. Chickpeas simmered in with some spices for hours bring out the flavors so well balanced and makes a tasty treat which could be enjoyed Indian Bread like naan, parantha or Puri (bhatura) or simply with a whole wheat bread.
The way I learned making bhaturas is very unique with potaotes and yougurt they come out very soft and not so chewy. - PistachioDoughnut
Chole - Chickpeas curry
- 1 cup Garbanzo beans soaked preferably overnight or atleast 6 hours and boiled
- 1 Chopped medium sized onion
- 1 medium sized chopped tomato
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon Ginger crushed or grated
- 1 or 2 Bay leaf (dry)
- 2 Cloves
- 1 small stick of cinnamon
- 2 to 3 peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoons Cumin-corriander powder
- 11/2 teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- 1 small boiled potato
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Dry Pomogrante seeds (Optional)
- 11/2 teaspoon Everest or Badshah or MTR Chole Masala available at Indian groceries
- Coriander leaves to granish
- Ginger Julienne to garnish
- Soak the garbanzo beans overnight or for about 6 hours and boil them along with potato to 5 whistles or about 20 to 25 minutes if using a cooker without whistle. You can also use canned chickpeas.
- Take some oil in pan, add cumin seeds. Let them crackle, add cloves,peppercorns,cinnamon stick, bay leaf and then add the chopped onions, garlic paste and ginger paste. Saute it for some seconds. Once the onions turn translucent add the chopped tomatoes. Saute it till the tomatoes become soft. Sprinkle the cumin-coriander powder, red chili powder, salt to taste. Let it simmer for sometime. Add the chole masala powder , pomegranate seeds and tamarind chutney or pulp. Add 11/2 cup of water. Add the boiled potatoes either cubes or mashed to thicken the gravy.Simmer it for about 5 to 10 minutes. Garnish it with fresh chopped coriander leaves and ginger julienne.
- Variations- You can add some vegetables also like carrots, bell peppers or cottage cheese cubes to it. Serve it with Jeera Rice , bread or couscous.
Bhatura - Fried Indian Bread
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 medium sized boiled potatoes -mashed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Curd or plain yogurt
- SAlt to taste
- oil for frying
- extra flour for dusting
- Take both flours and add salt to taste, boiled and mashed potatoes and plain yogurt. Do not add water at all. Try to knead a dough from using yogurt. Try adding yogurt little by little so that the dough does not turn too sticky.
- Heat the oil in deep frying pan on medium heat. Roll out equal portion of dough balls into flat bread . Use oil to form dough balls from them not sticking to your palms. Use extra flour to dust it if it sticks. Roll them out into round flatbread.
- Fry them equally on both sides will crispy , fluffy and brown in color. Serve them hot with Chickpea curry.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
What's In, What's Out
What we're obsessed with, and what we're not.
What's in, what's out.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
Wedding registry must haves.