If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Growing up in Cork, Southern Ireland, farmhouse cheeses were a staple in my home. Coolea cheese from Macroom, Co Cork was the inspiration for this recipe. The crust is made with Kerrygold Unsalted Irish Butter. Between the cheese and the butter...you are sure to sample a taste of Ireland...My Real Ireland ! —Rachel Gaffney
Serves 6-8 people
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons Kerrygold Unsalted Butter (cubed & chilled)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped sage
- 1 cup Chilled Water (only use a little)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup fresh vegetable stock
- 4 medium sized potatoes , peeled and halved.
- 1 turnip , peeled & thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Coolea Cheese, peeled with a peeler
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- freshly milled black pepper
- kosher salt
- few leaves of fresh sage (3-4)
- Pre Heat Oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" round pie plate with the foil wrapper from the Kerrygold Butter. Dust with flour . In a food processor, add flour, salt and butter. Pulse until mixture looks like a coarse meal. Gradually add chilled water, a teaspoon at a time. Pulse until dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add the turnip and potatoes to water in a medium sized saucepan. Turn heat to high and cook until water starts to boil. Drain them immediately and set them aside. When they are cooled, slice into 1/8" slices. Mix stock and cream together in a small saucepan. Infuse with a few leaves of fresh sage. When warm, remove sage and discard.
- Take your pastry out of the oven at least 5 minutes before using. Roll onto floured surface , then place onto prepared pie plate. Alternate layers of red onion , potato and turnip. Pour cream mixture over, sprinkle with walnuts and top with Coolea Cheese. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.