Author Notes: A true vegan coffee cake prepared to perfectly accompany any blend. - VeganSquid
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 180 milliliters granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 30 milliliters coffee
- 1.75 cups warm water
- 80 milliliters butter
- 2 milliliters vanilla extract
- Add together all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Slowly add half of the portioned water while hand mixing with a spatula. Once uniform, add 80mL canoleo (or other vegan butter) and mix. Continue adding water and mixing until well dissolved and uniform once more; add vanilla extract.
- Spread flat across a 16"x12" baking pan.
- Clean bowl and spatula with tongue.
- NOTES: I use Florida Natural Crystals for my granulated sugar. It's unprocessed, unbleached sugar so my cake turned out a little more brown than it will if you use white sugar.
- 3 cups walnuts
- 90 milliliters granulated sugar
- 20 milliliters almond milk
- combine walnuts, sugar, and almond milk into a food processor (don't use a blender, as you want nice chunks of walnut) and process until sugar has combined with milk and walnuts are 1/4 sized. You can chop walnuts by hand if you wish and combine to the milk/sugar after.
- Spread across top of the laid cake as evenly as possible. Use the spatula to make adjustments and add walnuts and sugar as needed. Once uniform, take chopped sage (use fresh chopped, or tinsel cut sage; do not use sage powder) and spread it across the walnuts.
- Bake cake on 350 for 15 minutes, and then broil on 250 until you can remove a toothpick with only the tiniest and fewest of crumbles.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage