If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love this theme! Walnuts and sage - yum. Brown butter and sage - yum. Then play around with sweets and savories and what have you, loads of good things are going to come out of this! I my case I wanted to make something immediately (of course!) without going to the store ... this bread is super easy, don't even need to get out the electric mixer. I usually will make the effort to mix my wet and dry ingredients separately but this time I didn't bother - just dump mix and bake. The bread is super moist, not too sweet, nutty and good warm or room temp! —aargersi
Serves 1 loaf
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh sage leaves
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups white wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe pears - peeled, cored and lightly mashed - about a cup and a half
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- demerarra or turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Heat the oven to 350. Grease and flour (or spray) a standard loaf pan.
- Toast the walnuts in a skillet over medium heat, then set them aside. Add the butter and sage to the skillet and cook until the butter browns - follow your nose, it should smell nutty and sagey and not at all scorched. Turn off the heat.
- Whisk the eggs and brown sugar together. Add in the oil and whisk that. Mix in the flour, soda, powder and salt. Now stir in the browned butter, then fold in the pears and walnuts. It's going to seem kind of wet - don't worry.
- Scrape into the loaf pan, sprinkle with the demerarra, and into the oven for an hour. Test for doneness, then cool a bit before you flip it out of the pan. Slice and eat!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage
More Great Recipes: Bread, Rolls & Muffins
Why Our Vegan Cookbook is for Everyone
Whether you're a meat eater, tofu lover, or in-between
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
Our latest #f52contest: back-pocket baking.
Have a ball (jar).