Author Notes: This came to me in a dream the other night so I had to make it. Though I used Gruyere cheese, we ate it like a raclette, all melty and gooey on toasted bread as an appetizer for New Year's Eve. - nannydeb
Serves 6 as an appetizer
- 3 ounces walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced (or more or less to your taste)
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 pound Gruyere cheese, 1 inch cubes
- 1 Barlett pear (or pear of your choice), cored, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread the walnuts onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Toast until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a food processor, combine the toasted walnuts, sage, garlic and olive oil. Blend until smooth adding more olive oil if needed. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Butter a baking dish and add the cheese cubes and pear cubes. Swirl the walnut sage pesto around the cubes.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until melted.
- Serve with some good crusty bread and wine.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage