If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! I used Merrill's The Best Lime Ice Cream as a jumping-off point. The Maple-Sage Sugared Walnuts are adapted from the recipe for Maple Sugared Pecans in the cookbook In the Sweet Kitchen by Regan Daley, one of my favorite cookbooks. —mrslarkin
Food52 Review: Mrslarkin's easy ice cream recipe elegantly highlights the beauty of sage-walnut-maple combo.The sage is no shrinking violet in this silky ice cream that contrasts beautifully with the crunchy, caramelized walnuts. Indeed, we do all scream for ice cream. —Food52
Makes about 3 cups of ice cream
For the Maple-Sage Sugared Walnuts
- 1 cup raw walnuts, halves and pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon egg white
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Prepare a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Place walnuts and chopped sage in a small mixing bowl. Mix egg white and maple syrup in a small cup. Add to walnuts and stir well. Sprinkle the brown sugar over and toss to coat nuts completely. Spill walnuts onto cookie sheet, and spread out in one layer.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring a few times, until nuts are nicely toasted. Slide parchment off of hot cookie sheet onto a cooling rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
For the Maple Sage Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 dozen fresh sage leaves
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, place cream and sage leaves. Using a muddler or a wooden spoon, muddle the leaves now and then as the cream heats. Do not boil. When mixture starts to steam, stir in maple syrup. Remove from heat and let cool completely. Chill in fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the sage leaves from the cream.
- Pour cream into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Remove to a freezable container to harden some more.
- To serve, scoop ice cream into bowls, layering the sugared walnuts throughout, or just scattering the nuts on top of the ice cream. If desired, a drizzle of maple syrup tastes pretty yummy, too!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage
Have Your Campari—and Eat It, Too
Granita is really, really great
Spike your granita with campari.
The craziest chip around.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Savor the season.
This pasta's mint to be.