If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We were casting about for a rich horchata recipe to use in a cocktail recipe at the restaurant. So we made 4 different batches of Horchata with various ingredients. This one was our favorite.
It's delicious on it's own, and also great with a shot of dark and light rum.
The cinnamon you use is incredibly important. It should be potent. Spend the extra $2 to get the good stuff. It makes a difference. —SideworkEnds
Makes 1 liter
- 2/3 cup long grain white rice
- 3 cups warm water (about 120 degrees)
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 13 oz. can coconut milk (I like Goya)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon (or 2 sticks)
- stick cinnamon for garnish (optional)
- Grind the rice in a spice grinder or blender until it is the consistency of coarse meal. Pulverize the almonds. Pour into a pitcher with the warm water. If using stick cinnamon, add it now.
- When the water has chilled to room temperature, cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, or up to overnight.
- Blend the rice/ water/ almond mixture in batches until smooth. (NOTE: if using stick cinnamon, discard the cinnamon before blending). Strain the blended rice mixture through a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth. Squeeze solids to release all the liquid. Re-blend the rice solids once more, and strain again to get as much rice-y goodness as possible.
- Add milk, coconut milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir until sugar dissolves. Taste for sweetness, and add more sugar to taste if necessary. Server over ice, garnish with stick of cinnamon and a dusting of ground cinnamon.
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.