Author Notes: Keeping pure, clean flavors of winter in mind, I opted to make one of my favorite healthy desserts – a yogurt panna cotta. I used brown sugar for a bolder flavor to round out the strong perfumes of sage and used soy and 2% greek yogurt as my panna cotta base. - Joylicious
Brown Sugar Sage Panna Cotta
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 cup 2% Fage Greek Yogurt
- 1/3 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup Fresh Sage
- Honeycomb, for garnish
- 3-4 small fresh Sage leaves, for garnish
Spiced Candied Walnuts
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Raw Walnut Halves
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- In an oven or toaster oven preheat to 350°F. Lay walnuts evenly on baking sheet lined with foil. Bake for 5 minutes or until just toasted. Walnuts have high oil content so be careful to not overcook. Remove from oven and cool in a bowl. .
- In a medium saucepan, pour sugar and cook over medium heat until it begins to melt. Once sugar is a light amber, pour in the nuts and add the cayenne . Stir with a wooden spoon, making sure all walnut pieces are evenly covered.
- Spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat mat if you have one. Use a fork to separate any pieces that are touching and sprinkle with a pinch of Kosher salt. Set aside and cool. Chop into small pieces and place in a small bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the gelatin with the water and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes. In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a simmer with the sugar and cook until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the softened gelatin until dissolved. ????
- Whisk in the yogurt until evenly mixed. Add fresh sage leaves. Steep for 10-15 minutes. If you prefer a stronger sage flavor, feel free to increase to 1/2 cup of sage. Strain mixture into a 1 quart measuring cup or large bowl. Divide the panna cotta mixture into 4 4-ounce ramekins and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
- To serve, sprinkle each ramekin with candied walnuts and garnish with honey comb and fresh sage if preferred.