If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Better than store-bought . One of the enduring classics of the biscuit world. - Amee
For the filling:
- 7 ounces dried figs quartered
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch salt
For the dough:
- 4 ounces plain flour
- 4 ounces wholemeal flour
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons light muscovado sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk (probably a bit more)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Put the figs in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat with 300ml (1/2 pint) water. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the figs are tender and the liquid is well reduced. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 5 mins more until very little liquid remains. Set aside to cool, then puree in a food processor. Let cool completely and refrigerate until set.
- Put all the ingredients for the pastry in a food processor and mix, adding more milk a tiny bit at a time until it pulls together as a dough. Wrap your dough tightly in cling film and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet. Pre-heat oven to 175C/350F.
- Press the pastry out between two sheets of cling film and roll out to roughly an oblong about (16 x 5 inches). Peel back the top layer of cling film. Spread the fig paste down the centre of the dough rectangle and using the bottom layer of cling film, roll in the sides so that they overlap over the filling.
- Trim the ends of the roll, turn the rolls so that the pastry seam is on the bottom and cut into just over one inch wide slices (about 12 fig rolls) and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a rack
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.