If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I studied in Paris my junior year of college and became obsessed with the individual-sized tarts citrons that were available in every patisserie. When I came home and couldn't get my daily lemon fix, my friend Gabi passed along her recipe for a larger lemon tart, which I've modified over the years to make even more deliciously lemony. The hardest part about making it is resisting the urge to eat the entire thing. - debsiegel
For the pastry
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cups cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg, beaten
For the lemon filling
- 5 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup butter
- a couple raspberries or twists of lemon peel for garnish (optional)
- To make the pastry: Sift the flour and powdered sugar together. Cut the butter into the flour mix. Stir in egg and mix until the dough just comes together. (This can be done in a stand mixer or by hand.) Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out dough and place into a 10” pie or tart pan. Line the pastry with aluminum foil and fill with dry beans or pie weights. Bake for 15-20 minutes, remove foil and beans, and bake 5 more minutes until light brown. Allow pastry to cool.
- To make the filling: Lower oven temperature to 275-300 degrees. Whisk eggs, yolk, and sugar together. Bring lemon juice and zest to a simmer in a small saucepan, then add the butter, whisking until the butter melts. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes, then gradually whisk the lemon juice/butter mix into the egg mix until it's blended.
- Strain the entire mixture through a fine-meshed sieve into the pastry shell. Bake for 20 minutes or until set. Let cool, then refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe