If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the lemon pie of my childhood, a perfect concoction of intensely lemony custard and cloud-like meringue. You won't find here any of that scary gelatinous "lemon" stuff too often used. This pie is lighter than air, and the intensely lemon cloud that is each bite makes it a great foil to any heavy meal.
I've NEVER had a better lemon pie.
That's all there is to it. —em-i-lis
Makes 1 pie
For the crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ cups canola oil
- ¼ cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Place the sifted flour and salt into a bowl and whisk well. Pour in oil and milk, and, using a fork, mix well to combine.
- Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll out your crust to desired thickness (for this pie, I like the crust to be on the thin side) and invert over a pie plate. Line with pie weights or foil/beans, and bake 10-15 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from oven and set crust aside to cool. Reduce oven temp to 325.
For the lemon filling and meringue
- 4 eggs, separated
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 325. Put egg yolks in top of a double boiler and whisk until thick. Add the lemon zest, juice, water and 1/2 c sugar, beat well and cook over the hot water. Reserve.
- Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until stiff. Add the remaining sugar and continue beating until sugar is blended into the whites. Fold 1/2 of the meringue into the warm yolk and lemon mixture to lighten. When everything is well combined, pour the mixture into the baked pie crust.
- Using a spoon or spatula, drop dollops of the remaining meringue in a circle around the pie’s periphery. Bake in the oven until the meringue is lightly browned and the center is set, 20-25 minutes though sometimes more.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Thanksgiving Pie
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
The freedom to snack.