If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The bitterness of radicchio and the sour-sweetness of grapefruit make for a mutually beneficial flavor pairing. When served warm, the flavors deepen; grilling the radicchio allows it to adopt the grill's smokiness, while bruleeing the grapefruit under a dusting of brown sugar and a hot flame imparts a sense of caramel to the citrus. Add in two secret ingredients -Chinese 5 Spice and very aged Balsamic- and you've got a unique, simple, mysterious burst of flavors. —em-i-lis
Makes 6 appetizer or side portions
- 1-2 heads radicchio, cut into six 3/4" rounds (try to maintain the "steak" aspect), you won't need all of the radicchio
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Chinese 5 spice
- 1 large pink or red grapefruit, skin cut away, fruit cut into six 1/4" - 1/2" rounds
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- good quality, aged (!) Balsamic, for drizzling
- Prepare your grill; you'll want it at medium-high heat. Preheat your broiler to high. Brush your radicchio steaks with olive oil, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Dust lightly with Chinese 5 spice, and place oil- and spice-side down on the hot grill. Grill 3-4 minutes and remove.
- In the meantime, place a piece of foil on a baking sheet, put the six grapefruit rounds on it, and put 1 T brown sugar on each grapefruit slice. Place under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until sugar is melted and juices have started to run. Remove from broiler and finish bruleeing with a kitchen torch if you've got it. Otherwise you can leave the fruit under the broiler a bit longer.
- On each radicchio steak, place one bruleed grapefruit round. Drizzle with Balsamic and serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).