If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite salads this time of year is Moroccan Orange Salad. They typically don't have greens or grains in them, or at least not the ones I've seen, but I went a little rogue from the standard when I wanted to turn this into more of a vegetarian main meal, while keeping the citrus and black olives firmly in place. The result is a very satisfying, healthy salad that hits the spot after all the sweets and heavy food of the holidays.
1. I recommend Navel oranges or some other seedless, similar citrus.
2. I keep a container of cooked grains in the refrigerator and one in the freezer at all times, making it easy to add some grains to salads and greens dishes. To cook quinoa, add 2 cups vegetable broth or water for every 1 1/3 cups of quinoa. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the quinoa, along with a smashed clove of garlic, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 12 minutes. - TheWimpyVegetarian
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika (I use Pimenton de la Vera)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large navel oranges
- 4 handfuls arugula (enough for two servings)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa grain (see headnote)
- 2 large shallots, peeled and slivered
- 20 kalamata olives, halved
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- zest of 1 large lime
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Make the dressing by whisking together the sherry wine vinegar, orange juice and spices until spices are dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil until emulsified. Set aside.
- Slice off the top and bottom of the oranges. Setting them on their flat bottoms, carefully slice away the peel and pith, leaving the fruit completely intact. Slice horizontally in 1/4" -1/2" slices. Quarter each slice into bite-sized pieces if desired.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, cooked quinoa, olives, shallot, mint leaves and lime zest. Add the orange slices and drizzle 1/2 the dressing over the mixture. Toss and add remaining dressing as desired.
- Heap on a plate and top with the feta cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.