If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The City of Nagpur is famous for its cultivation of oranges. This burfi (fudge/bars) made from orange or as known as "santra" is very famous to Nagpur. Traditionally, Burfis are made up of milk, sugar by simmering it for hours to reduce the milk to almost 1/3 of its original form to get thick texture. There are lots of variations to this simple dessert like Chocolate burfi, Cashew-Pista burfi, Date-Fig Burfi. Endless variations. Enjoy the yummy burfi! - PistachioDoughnut
Makes 10 to 12 pieces
- 2 Oranges
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 11/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup milk and 2 tbsp extra for dissolving the saffron
- 3 tablespoons Ghee and some extra for greasing the dish
- 1 teaspoon Saffron
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Heat ghee in a pan and add all- purpose flour to it. Keep stirring it till golden brown,. Do not leave it unattended as flour can easily turn brown or stick to the pan and get burnt. Now take it off from the stove and keep it aside.
- Peel the oranges, remove seeds and skin from each slice to get just the orange pulp. Heat milk in a pan, add sugar and orange pulp to it. Keep stirring continuously till the mixture reduces to almost half and becomes thick.
- Now add the flour mixture to it and mixing it well so that there are no lumps and it is incorporated well with the milk mixture.Take 2 tablespoons of lukewarm milk and take saffron in your palm and rub it between your palms and add it to milk,once properly dissolved, add it to the milk/flour mixture.Cook it for few more minutes till you see the ghee separating at the sides of the pan. Once cooked,remove the mixture in a greased dish or baking tray and let it cool.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe