If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: There's such a wonderful variety of beautiful, juicy oranges at all the markets now, it's hard not to want to take advantage of them. You can use any oranges you want here, though. Once you roast the beets (which can be done ahead), this salad comes together in about 15 minutes, making it a perfect weeknight dish. Note: using a rosemary flavored olive oil makes all the difference to this salad. To make it, put a fresh spring of rosemary in 1 cup olive oil and let sit for at least 1 day. Make sure the rosemary is submerged. Remove when you have the strength of rosemary flavor you want. —TheWimpyVegetarian
Orange and Beet Salad
- 7 - 8 baby beets (2 bunches)
- 1 blood orange
- 1 tangerine
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole oregano leaves
Maple - Orange Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (Grade B)
- 1 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rosemary olive oil (see headnote)
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Remove the leafy stalk and tail from the beets, rub in olive oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Wrap in foil, place in an oven-proof pan, and roast until tender. The length of time will be dependent on the size of the beets, but it will likely take a couple hours. The beets can be roasted ahead and refrigerated until you're ready to use them.
- Slice the top and bottom off the oranges, and using a sharp knife, carefully slice away the skin and pith of the oranges so that only the fruit is remaining. Slice the oranges into 1/4" or 1/2" thick little slabs.
- Peel the beets and slice.
- Whisk all of the vinaigrette ingredients together, except the rosemary oil, until the salt is dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil as you drizzle it over the vinaigrette.
- Arrange the orange slices on a plate. Sprinkle on the minced rosemary. Place the beets around and over the oranges and sprinkle on the oregano. Drizzle the dressing over it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Grilled Cheese, Please
Sandwiches that stop the world and melt with you
Grilled cheese, please.
It's time to travel.
Whey cool desserts.
Put cake on a pedestal.