Author Notes: This is an extremely simple recipe that calls for pureeing an entire orange and adding eggs, for the French Toast coating, which results in a full deep orange flavor that caramelizes on the bread..It was inspired by the French Toast made at Breakfast of Champions Cafe in Brewster on Cape Cod some 28 years ago . - LE BEC FIN
- 1 seedless orange
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher Salt and Coarsely Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 9 or more 1/2 inch slices French bread or Sourdough baguette, cut in half
- 1/2-1 pound Unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cut orange into 5 or 6 pieces. Puree in blender or cuisinart. Add cinnamon and buzz once or twice to blend. Add eggs and puree. Season with salt and pepper and buzz twice.
- Pour egg mixture into flat bottomed container. Fill with as many bread crescents as will fit in one layer. Let sit a few minutes, turn and let sit a few minutes, all to absorb mixture.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium high heat. Before butter browns, add French Toast and sautee until orange mixture has browned and caramelized. If you want more coating, you can spread extra on the bread before flipping it. Finish browning the second side. Finish dipping and sauteeing the rest of the bread. Serve with warmed maple syrup and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe