If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Key lime pie is my very favorite dessert, when it is done properly. Real key lime pie, the kind you might find in a Florida steakhouse, only has four ingredients: sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, key lime zest and egg yolks. It is pale yellow, almost white, in color and has the consistency of thick custard. The crust is important too. For a long time, I tried different combinations with graham crackers, but the results never had the proper balance of butter, sugar and salt. Finally, I tried a crust using English digestive crackers, and I really like the results. I have added some grapefruit zest to this tart, and I think it adds a lot of extra citrus flavor. - Cristina Sciarra
Makes 6 individual tarts
- 1 package Mcvities digestive biscuits
- 3/4 stick salted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 14-ounce cans of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup key lime juice
- zest of 1 lime, or 2 key limes
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit zest
- 4 large egg yolks
- Empty the digestives into a large bowl. Using the heel of a glass, crush the digestives until you achieve the consistency of sand. (I promise, it doesn’t take more than 5 minutes).
- Cut the butter into slices, and then use your fingers to incorporate into the crumbled digestives. Add the sugar, and mix with your fingers until you achieve the texture of wet sand. Spoon the mixture into tart shells, and press into a crust.
- Empty the sweetened condensed milk into a medium bowl. Add the key lime juice, a bit at a time. (If you can’t find fresh key limes, use Nellie and Joe’s Key West Juice from the supermarket). Mix in lime and grapefruit zest, then mix in the egg yolks; stir until just incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the tart shells and cook at 350F for 12 minutes. When they come out of the oven, allow them to cool, and then chill before serving.
- Optional: Serve with freshly whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.