If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a thirst quenching tart spicy drink bright with the flavors of lime, cardamom and ginger, all underlaid by the soft grassiness of green tea, and overlaid by the kick of rum. I am what some might call a 'cardamom freak' and when Marion, the bartender extraordinaire at Black Trumpet in Portsmouth N.H., put a cardamom rum drink on her menu, I knew I would be hooked. After a brief description of her ingredients, I went home to infuse, work out measurements and create a recipe.You may prefer a lighter cardamom flavor, and if so, add plain white rum accordingly; and in the future, use fewer cardamom pods in your infusion. Warning: it is easy to consider the green tea element as a marker of your virtuosness! (Ah yes, how we fool ourselves!) - LE BEC FIN
Infused Rum, Ginger Syrup, and Green Tea
- 1 fifth of white rum, like Bacardi's
- 1/8 cup green cardamom pods,smashed open with side of cleaver
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup gingerroot, unpeeled,cut into 1/8 inch thin coins and smashed with side of cleaver
- 1 teaspoon high quality powdered green tea (matcha)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 cup cardamom rum (cardamom removed and returned to leftover rum.)
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup green tea, skaken well before measuring, as green tea powder tends to settle)
- 1/8-1/4 cups ginger syrup (ginger removed and returned to jar of ginger syrup.)
- Combine the rum and cardamom pods. Put in a dark place to infuse at least a few days (months won'r hurt it either!) .
- Bring 1 cup water to boil and stir in sugar til melted. Add ginger and simmer 30 minutes. Cool and put in sealed container
- Shake vigorously the green tea powder and 1/2 cup warm water, til smooth and no lumps.
- Measure and combine the drink components. Serve over ice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Tea
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe