If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Robust flavors of lemon and onion dominate this roast chicken. The combination of acids in the onion and lemon, along with the salt, help to tenderize the bird as they act as both a brine and a basting medium. - LE BEC FIN
- 1 1 4 1/2 pound chicken, spatchcocked, flattened , and squeezed into a 9 or 10" square ceramic pan
- 1 large yellow onion, grated on large side of grater, like for cheddar cheese
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- 4 ounces unsalted butter,melted just before use so it doesn’t get thick
- 1. Rinse chicken in cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels.Spatchcock it, hit and push down on the breast bone to flatten the bird, and squeeze it into a 9"=10" square ceramic or glass baking dish that just fits or is slightly larger than the bird. Fold the chicken wings behind its 'head’ (think of it lying on the beach with its hands under its head and its elbows out!)
- Put half the salt in the palm of your hand and pat to cover the breast side (top) of the bird. Take the remaining salt in your palm and pat it all over the back of the bird and inside the cavity. Do the same with the pepper. Place the bird on its back. Pat the grated onion all over the top of the bird,under the skin of the breasts,and saving the rest for the bottom side and the cavity.Pour the lemon juice all over the top of the bird , under the breast skin,and a little in the cavity. Pour the melted butter to cover the top of the bird
- Let the chicken rest at room temperature for a minimum of 6 hours, or refrigerate overnight and remove from refrigerator 2 hours before cooking.
- With the oven at 400 degrees F, roast the bird for 20 minutes (or 15 minutes if it is getting too brown). Turn down the oven to 325 degrees F . Roast about 1 hour, basting every 15 minutes, under the skin and on top. Legs should be loose in their sockets. If not, baste and bake another 15 minutes on its back, til browned and legs are loose.
- Remove from oven and let sit 10 minutes. Baste and serve with basmati rice to absorb the piquant sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls