If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: An impressive looking vegetarian dish that needs no special skills, equipment and does not take ages to make. Originally from Laura Santtini’s book 'Flash Cooking' which was sent to me to review, I have changed the cooking method and flavors to suit my own store cupboard. —Amee
Food52 Review: WHO: Amee is an illustrator and designer living in Ireland.
WHAT: A delicious first course, lunch, or snack -- made in ten minutes, flat.
HOW: Whisk together a dressing, rub it into your lemon slices and halloumi, and broil.
WHY WE LOVE IT: We love the sweet-sour-herby-cheesiness going on in this dish; you'd never know how simple it is. We'd love this over a salad, or as an hors d'oeuvre, or served simply as a first course. Feel free to swap in fresh herbs -- or, when it's warm out, throwit on the grill. —The Editors
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon crushed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 unwaxed lemons, very thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 block of halloumi cheese cut into slices about 1 1/2 centimeters thick
- You will need a hot oven. Preheat the oven to about 200°C (or 400°F). Slice one lemon thinly. Using a pestle and mortar pound the garlic, pinch of salt, herbs, and the peppercorns -- add olive oil, honey and lemon juice from the other lemon. Rub the cheese and lemon slices with the mixture.
- Place it in an ovenproof dish, and let it color and caramelize uncovered for about 10 minutes. Remove and turn over to color the other side. Serve lemon side up, sprinkled with the remaining dressing and pan juices drizzled over.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
Your New Main Squeeze
A tart, sunny lemon bar cheesecake
Lemon bar cheesecake takes the cake.
Recipe of the Day
Savor the season.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
A board to go nuts over.