If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I adapted Grace Parisi's recipe for angel food cupcakes to include the citrus and I adapted Martha Stewarts Chocolate Buttercream recipe which made way too much frosting. The pairing of orange and chocolate together is delicious. The citrus is undeniable and to gild the lily I spread some orange marmalade on top of the cupcake before frosting. —sdebrango
Makes a dozen jumbo cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups egg whites at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325°. Set 12 jumbo foil muffin cups on a rimmed baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the cake flour with the confectioners' sugar. In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the egg whites with the salt, orange zest and cream of tartar and beat with whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the whites are firm and glossy. Sift the flour mixture over the egg whites in 2 additions, folding gently until incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups filling to the top. Bake for 15 minutes, checking the cupcakes starting at 13 minutes (ovens vary) shifting the pan from front to back, until the cupcakes are springy and golden. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack to cool
Chocolate Orange Buttercream
- 6 ounces Bittersweet (70%) chocolate broken into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 egg whites from large eggs
- 1/2 cup +2 tbs granulated sugar
- 8 ounces unsalted butter cut into pieces at room temperature butter should be soft
- orange marmalade to spread on top of cupcake
- Place chopped chocolate and orange zest in microwave and melt chocolate for 30 seconds, stir and microwave another 30 seconds, stir and if necessary microwave another 30 seconds until its melted.
- Combine sugar and egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water; whisk until the mixture feels hot to touch and the sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Transfer the bowl to the mixer stand. Using the whisk attachment, beat the mixture on medium-high until cooled, about 15 minutes.
- With mixer running add the butter a piece at a time beating constantly, now add the cooled chocolate beat to incorporate. Use immediately.
- Spread a thin layer of marmalade on top of cupcake, pipe some of the buttercream in the middle. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
More Great Recipes: Desserts
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
The best donuts—ever.
We've got the summer blues.
How we do a Genius dinner party for 30.
A better basket.