If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I lived at home we didn't often have limes on hand, but when the happy circumstance arose that we had lemons and limes at the same time, we couldn't resist making this moist, flavorful cake. This recipe is inspired by the lemon-lime syrup cake in Greek Cooking, by Rena Salaman and Jan Cutler. I add rosemary to bring complexity to the flavor, and cornmeal for a richer texture. The glaze gives color and an aromatic citrus scent as added temptation. - Katharine
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs, room temperature and beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- grated lemon rind of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- finely pared rind of 1 lime
- finely pared rind of 1/2 lemon
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease a 9 x 1 1/2 inch round cake pan.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the sugar, butter and eggs and beat to combine. Then beat in the rosemary, lemon rind and juice, adding the juice gradually.
- Put the batter into the cake pan, smoothing the top and making a shallow well in the center with a spatula. Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together the glaze ingredients until the sugar is dissolved. As soon as the cake is out of the oven, poke holes all over the top with a fork and pour the warm syrup evenly over the top. Let the cake cool off in the pan and serve out of the pan warm or cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
How to Judge a Person by Their Ice Cream Choice
Are you a King Cone or a Klondike Bar?
Choose your ice cream wisely.
Brown butter Nutella skillet cookie.
Fire up the grill.
Festive Felt Barbecue Banners
Portable picnic snacks.