If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I've been working on creating Chinese-American carry out (take out) for quite some time now. I think I have Orange Chicken, Almond Boneless Chicken and Fried Rice down and this week did Lemon Chicken. This one is sweet and lemony and gives a few options for serving. —inpatskitchen
Makes 3 to 4 servings
For the Lemon Sauce and Candied Lemon Slices
- 1 lemon sliced in quarter inch rounds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 grated garlic clove
- Zest of one lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with a few tablespoons water to make a slurry
- For the candied lemon slices, in a medium sauce pan bring the cup of water and cup of sugar to a boil. Lay the lemon slices in and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and let cool somewhat in the liquid. Remove the slices and set them on a rack to finish cooling. These are purely optional but very nice for garnish.
- Combine the chicken broth, honey, agave, brown sugar, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, crushed red pepper, soy sauce and ginger in a small sauce pan. Bring up to the boil and add the cornstarch slurry. Continue cooking until the mixture thickens. Set aside.
For the chicken and putting it all together
- 3 to 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 8 to 10 ounces club soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable or peanut oil for pan frying
- Hot cooked white rice for serving(optional)
- Shredded lettuce for serving (optional)
- 1 finely sliced green onion for serving (optional)
- Coarsely chopped honey roasted peanuts for serving(optional)
- The lemon sauce and candied lemon slices if using
- In a medium bowl, whisk the rice flour, AP flour, salt and pepper together.
- In a small bowl beat the egg with about 4 ounces of the club soda and then whisk into the flour mixture adding more club soda as you need to make a batter slightly thicker than thin.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, dip the chicken pieces into the batter, shaking off any excess and then fry them on both sides until lightly browned. Transfer the pieces to a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a 425F oven for about 10 minutes.
- Re heat the lemon sauce and serve as desired. We like all the optional garnishes on ours, served on a bed of lettuce and rice(with the green onion stirred in). We place the chicken on the bed, pour a little sauce over and garnish with the nuts and candied lemon slices.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Food blog links we love.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
The best camping foods.
Savor the season.