If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this dessert at school for a buffet for class. I wanted to put a twist on a typical custard pie. I recieved good remarks for it. It is a very nice citrus dessert. The design that the citrus supremes on top create make it a definite eye catcher.
The recipes given are modified from my baking book, I messed around with the ratios a bit and substituted some ingredients, and added some others to make this a tasty citrus delight.
Variations can be applied, the custard can be changed to suit whatever flavor desired. Any type of citrus supreme on top would be great, I thought about using lemons and limes, but I wasn't sure on how sour it would be. Alot of combinations would work, just try them out for yourself. —dmlucero
- 9 ounces eggs
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 pints milk
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- 20 ounces pastry flour
- 13 ounces shortening
- 5 ounces water, cold
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ounce sugar
- 2 tablespoons citrus zest (lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, etc.)
- Make the pie dough, combine shortening and flour. Mix salt and sugar into water and combine with flour mixture. Roll out, lay over pie pans and line them with the dough. Let rest for 3-4 hours.
- Make the custard filling, combine eggs, sugar, salt, nutmeg and Grand Marnier. Blend, then stir in milk, removing foam as necessary. Place custard filling into pie shells. Bake at 450°F for 15 minutes, then reduce to 325°F and bake for 20-30 minutes or until pie has set.
- Supreme an orange and grapefruit. Place on top of baked pie, when cooled, facing the same direction in an alternate pattern.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.