If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lime, Onion, Chili flakes and Bay leaves all combine to give this roast chicken its robust and piquant punch! If chickens could kick box, that's what this chicken would be doing,flavor wise that is! - LE BEC FIN
- 1 3 1/2 pound chicken
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 small bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3/4 tablespoon freshly coarsely ground black pepper
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- Into a bowl, grate the onion on the large side of a grater (like you use for cheddar cheese).
- In a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle, grind the bay leaves coarsely. Add chili flakes and thyme and buzz or grind once or twice to coarsely chop.( You do not want a powder)
- Rinse chicken in cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels. In a ceramic or glass baking dish slightly larger than the bird, place the chicken on its back, and fold the wings behind its 'head’ (think of it lying on the beach with its hands under its head and its elbows out!).
- Put half the salt in the palm of your hand and pat to cover the breast side (top) of the bird. Take the remaining salt in your palm and pat it all over the back of the bird and inside the cavity. Do the same with the pepper. Place the bird on its back. Pat the grated onion all over the top of the bird, saving a little for the bottom side and the cavity.You can also tuck a little under the skin of the breasts and legs. Pour the lime juice all over the top of the bird and a little in the cavity and under the skin (use a baster.) Pour the melted butter over the bird to cover.
- Let the chicken rest at room temperature for a minimum of 6 hours, or refrigerate overnight and remove from refrigerator 2 hours before cooking.
- With the preheated oven at 400 degrees F, roast the bird for 15 minutes. Turn bird onto its breast, turn oven down to 325 degrees F and roast 45 minutes, bastine every 15 minutes, until legs are loose. Turn chicken breast side up and roast 10-15 minutes til browned. Remove the bird from the oven; let sit 10 minutes to retain its juices. Carve and serve with plenty of white or brown basmati rice to absorb the piquant sauce.
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.