If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I came across the recipe that has grown into this soup easily 10 years ago. It was pretty simple: basically a can of garbanzo beans was opened and dumped liquid and all into a saucepan, some stock was added, and a couple of slices of orange peel. Cook it up, season with salt and pepper, remove the peels, serve. I haven't complicated it much beyond that, but I've tweaked the flavors here and there. Lately I've started swirling in some greens just before serving. The citrus flavors are very subtle, but also very much there. - boulangere
Serves 2 to 4
- 2 cloves garlic, minced 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced Olive oil 1/2 pound garbanzo beans, soaked overnight, drained 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock 2 pieces orange peel, 1” wide 2 pieces lemon peel (Meyer if possible), 1/2” wide 4 kale leaves,
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- Olive oil
- 1/2 pound garbanzo beans, soaked overnight, drained
- 1 quart chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 pieces orange peel, 1” wide
- 2 pieces lemon peel (Meyer if possible), 1/2” wide
- 4 kale leaves, 1/2” slice
- Sea or kosher salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Wedges of lemon
- Film the bottom of a saucepan with olive oil and warm over medium heat. Add garlic and rosemary and sauté gently until fragrant. Add chicken stock and garbanzo beans. Give each piece of peel a vigorous twist and add to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cover pot. Simmer until stock is fragrant with and flavored delicately with citrus, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pieces of peel. Trim stems from kale leaves and split them in half lengthwise. Cut into ribbons 1/2" wide. Add kale and continue to simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add red pepper flakes.
- Ladle into bowls. Serve with a lemon wedge.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe