If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My original inspiration was from an accidental masterpiece on the Food Network's Chopped. Combining simple mashed potatoes with some sauteed kale. Brilliant. Beautiful colors and a soul warming dish for cold and snowy winter nights. - Brussels Sprouts for Breakfast
Serves 4 people
- 4 Yukon gold potatoes (skin on and quartered)
- 1 large bunch Kale (stems and spines removed, rough chop)
- 2 shallots (diced)
- 5 cloves garlic (rough chop)
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese (freshly grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Combine potatoes, water and a healthy pinch of salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil and let cook for about 10 minutes, or until a fork slides in to the potato easily.
- While potatoes are boiling, heat a large saute pan with olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for about 5 minutes, until shallots are soft. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the kale to the pan and give it a turn to coat all the leaves in oil. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Cover the pan let cook for about 15 minutes, turning the kale occasionally. Taste and add salt as necessary.
- When the potatoes and kale are done, combine in the bowl of a food processor. Add milk, butter and some additional salt and pepper. Pulse until there are no big clumps left, it's okay if its still a little chunky.
- Remove from the food processor and transfer to a bowl. Stir in the Gruyere and taste. There should be loads of flavor at this point! This would be a great recipe to get your kids (and you) to eat the daunting superfood, kale.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls