Author Notes: This has become our "go to" chili recipe. We love spicy food and we especially love anything with chorizo or chipotle. It was originally inspired by a Cuisine at Home recipe for Chorizo chili. But over the years we've messed with it that really the only thing that is always consistent is that it still includes both chipotle & chorizo. The version we are sharing today includes adding roasted tomatoes and jalapeno. If you love smoky flavors like we do this chili is for you. - The Foodie Couple
Makes a large pot of chili
- 3/4 # ground/bulk chorizo
- 1/2 # ground turkey
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 3 cans rinsed & drained beans (1 kidney, 2 black)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 chopped chipotle peppers
- 5-6 roma tomatoes
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- On stovetop brown chorizo & turkey with onion & garlic. Season with salt & pepper.
- Roast rinsed jalapeno & tomatoes in oven set on broil (high heat.) Flip as the blacken to blacken each side. After fully roasted( blackened) about 15-20 minutes. Chop and combine together. Season w/ salt & pepper. Chop Chipotle peppers, remove seeds if you like less heat.
- In a crockpot add meat & onion mixture with tomatoes and jalapeno. Add beans, chipotle, corn and tomato paste. Mix. Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours. 3-4 hours on high.
- Serve with toppings of your choice: shredded cheddar, cilantro and sour cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili